Thursday, September 11, 2008

Versailles!! (Encore)

September 2nd, 2008:These are pictures from my second trip to Versailles : )
This time, we had a real tour guide... much better.

Our guide explained to us what the dinosaur-esque thing was. It's not normally supposed to be there. I guess some famous, up-and-coming artist named Jeff Koons is being allowed to display his work at Versailles? When I went with my dad, this was the only one of his pieces up on display, however, this time there were a few more things up.

Here is a close up of the front of Jeff Koon's piece of artwork. According to this blog entry I was reading, it's called the "Split-Rocker." The blog goes into a lot of detail about the Jeff Koons exhibit. Definitely check it out.

One side of the Split-Rocker is a monkey...

... the other is a horse.

Both times I went to Versailles this year the weather has been less that desirable. On this day, it was incredibly windy. Ahmie's hair was all over the place.

Inside the Chateaux. I love the staircases. So pretty.

Our tour guide explained to us that the wood floors that currently cover most of Versailles are not the original flooring. During the Revolution, the marble floors got destroyed. Thus, they replaced the marble with wood because it would be more practical for tourists. I found that interesting.

This is our tour guide : ) She was very good - knowledgeable and not boring at all. Also, our whole tour was in French but she spoke slow enough that I understood almost everything. Very helpful.

Ahmie in front of the Hall of Mirrors.

Jeff Koon's artwork inside Versailles. Personally, I feel like it's awful to display modern art at Versailles like this. People come from all over the world to see Versailles and admire the castle's beauty and to have a random lobster hanging (below) in a beautiful, historical room seems kind of distasteful to me.



More of Koon's artwork outside of Versailles. You see this when you exit.

Bassin de Latone - I explained it in one of my last blog entry about Versailles. (The link to it is at the bottom of this entry).

Another Fountain - I thought that this one was funny because their are birds sitting on the statues' heads.

To read about my last visit to Versailles check out the following links:
* Inside Versailles
* Jardins de Versailles

** Picture of Lobster hanging in Versailles courtesy of "Direct Matin" newspaper.

No comments: