Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 4 Cont. - Jardins de Versailles

August 22nd, 2008:
By the time we got to the gardens, most of the rain had stopped so we were able to walk around without getting soaked.

Me in the garden.

Me again.

The garden without my face in front of it.

Orangery.

Close-up of the weird dinosaur-esque plant-thing. I have no clue why it's there.

The garden again. The Reflecting Pool in Washington, D.C. was modeled after the Grand Canal that you can see here off in the distance. King Louis XIV had it built to supply the fountains in the garden with water - he chose the River Seine for it's water source.

This is the Bassin de Latone. I didn't take a very close shot of it, but basically the woman on the top is named Latona and in Roman mythology she is the mother of Apollo and Diana (who are also on the top of the fountain). Here, Latona and her children are being tormented but Zeus has stepped in and turned the miscreants into frogs. (Well, he is in the process of doing it because they aren't all frogs yet).

Another fountain :]

There are a couple of cafés in gardens. This happens to be the same exact one where I ate 4 years earlier with my two friends from highschool.

Last time I was here I got a tuna sandwhich but this time I decided to get a hotdog. The hotdogs in France are made differently though... I should have stuck with the tuna.

After our lunch, we decided to walk through the gardens and head over to Marie-Antoinette's Estate. Unfortunately, we got rediculously lost and walked about an hour before ending up back where we started. Very frustrating.

We decided that we deserved to go out and relax after our tiresome day. Thus, we went to a Parisian bar and had some drinks.

We didn't actually go to Bar A Tapas... we just walked by it but i liked the dim lighting in this pic so I decided to put it up haha.

At the bar I had a Mojito. It wasn't very good... the leaves were shredded and I felt like I was drinking grass.
But whateverrr. I had my dad finish it haha.

After that, we went back to the hotel and went to sleep.

No comments: