Thursday, September 11, 2008

Academic Programs International

Lately, I've had a few people ask me questions about my study abroad program so I decided to use this entry to give you guys a rundown on how things work.

Since UMass doesn't have it's own study abroad program for France, they decided to buddy up with Academic Programs International (also reffered to as API). API offers study programs for many different parts of the world and any student can participate no matter what school they are from. This is why there are a few kids who came on the trip with me that are not actually from UMass.
Once a student decides where they want to go, API helps them figure out which school in that area would best suite their study needs.

In my case, it didn't work exactly like that. UMass only allows you to choose from three schools in Paris: Sorbonne, University of Paris VII (Denis Diderot), and University of Paris IX (Dauphine). Sorbonne is for students who want to work solely on their French. Paris VII, the University that I am attending, is for students who have a decent French background and whose major falls into the Humanities catagory (such as Sociology, Psychology, or Political Science). There aren't exactly any classes for either of my majors (Journalism and Communication), however, I have found some Film courses that may be acceptable for credits toward Comm. The rest of my courses that I am taking here are for my International Relations Certificate.

But that's beside the point.
The last school, Paris IX, is for generally for business majors who already have a good foundation in French. You might be able to take some math courses there too though... I'm not sure.

At UMass, the International Programs Office (IPO) meets with you to find out your study plans, assesses your French level and puts you into the right school accordingly.
**When I say "puts you into the school," I don't mean that they literally sign you up. They merely give you all the information on how to go about applying to the school that they chose for you, BUT you are the one who actually fills out the application. Technically, if you didn't agree with where UMass put you, you could fill out the application for another school and go there. I doubt anybody ever does that though. It would probably cause a lot of trouble because IPO stays very active in the whole study abroad process and they would surely find out that you went behind their back and changed schools.

So back to the whole process... Once UMass gives you the info on how to apply, you sign up with API and the rest is history.
API deals with us now - not UMass.

I honestly don't know much about API other than what I told you. I had no idea what I was in for until I got over here haha. I'm sure there was a link off of the API website that would have explained what the program entailed but I never bothered to look.

It ends up that the $12,000 that I paid to come over here for one semester not only included University costs and housing, but also a meal plan that consists of one lunch swipe 5 days a week, an unlimited metro pass, and the cost of pre-planned excursions.

On top of that, API has a center in Paris where students can go to hang out or use resources such as a computer or wireless internet.

Recently, our group had a Cultural Orientation at the API center. Here are some pictures so you can get and idea of what it looks like:

September 3, 2008:
Anna drinking tea - they have drinks and snacks at the center for us to dig in to :]

Jon and Cheryl hanging out.

Marisol and Melisse in the computer room.

The classroom! Cheryl and Melisse on the left. Melissa and Anne-Marie (the directors) on the right.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Bonjour Lyndsey! Ton blog a été écrit il y a pas mal de temps, mais on vient de le découvrir. J'espère que tu vas bien. Donnes de tes nouvelles te temps en temps. Gros bise! Melissa