Monday, August 25, 2008

A Search for Food/ Computer Troubles

Today i woke up, abandoned my comfy couch-bed, had breakfast, then went on a search for food.

Since the rest of the program doesn't get here until Wednesday night, I needed to make sure i had enough to last me the next few days.

Considering I know nothing about food shopping in Paris, I decided to go on a lonngg walk to scope out the grocery scene. I ended up grocery store hopping. In the first store I came across, ED's, I had a random encounter with an older parisian gentleman who wanted me to help him spread the word about a "gym" that he had opened. It was weird. I was just looking at the food trying to figure out what i wanted, when the man came up to me and asked me if i needed help. (I can't imagine that I looked lost or anything because I wasn't having any trouble picking out the food) Anyway, I thought he might be a sales clerk so i turned around and gave him a head shake for acknowledgement. I thought that if I didn't speak, he wouldn't know that I was American. No such luck. He kept standing there, then asked "Are you British?" I turned to look at him again and told him "No, I'm American." That probably wasn't the smartest thing I could've done because the man conitinued to engage me in small-talk, telling me about his son going to school in Oregon and finally asking if I like "gym class" (meaning the gym), and then requesting my phone number. I told him I didn't have a phone but I easily cave under pressure so I gave him my e-mail address. Odd.
After that, I hurried out of the store without getting anything. I ended up buying most of my food at a nearby Monoprix.
Here are some pictures along the way:
My Apart'hotel is right near the Pompidou Center where there are tons of sidewalk entertainers. Here is a gentleman with an outfit made entirely of recycled plastic.

A of view of a row of entertainers - I couldn't get them all in the shot. There was also a mime and two musicians.

The fountain at the Pompidou.

I found a store that had the coolest stuff. These clocks were my favorite.

Followed by these smiley toasters.

Once I got back to my room I headed for the computer to fix a few problems I had been having. My computer has a mind of it's own - it picked up on the fact that I'm on a french server so it felt the need to changed my preferences so that all my websites came up in French. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to get google to stop redirecting itself to google.fr.

On top of that, I tried to use the computer downstairs because my internet connection sucked but the keyboard was French. Instead of being a "QWERTY" keyboard it was an "AZERTY" keyboard. Needless to say, it took me a while to get anything accomplished on that thing.

2 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

I can't believe that guy asked you for your phone number. Oh well, you'll probably get a lot of that. Maybe you should just give people your blog address and build up your readership that way. I love the Pompidou Center. How lucky to be living near it. Great toasters and clocks.

Evan said...

haha. that yellow smiling toaster totally reminds me of you for some reason.